Thursday, October 29, 2009

Jewelry? Already?

I almost forgot to post about something that happened last Tuesday at preschool pick up.

I took the girls to school and raced to drop the dog off at the kennel. Then raced back home to pack the car. We were leaving from preschool to go to G & G's in WI.

I walk in the door to pick up the girls at school and Lily's crying because she fell on the playground. I finally get her calmed down and send both girls to go potty so we could go. Lily comes out a minute later crying again because she hit her head on the sink. I get her calmed down again and Austin (Ava's boyfriend) comes back in with his mom. Austin's mom goes on to tell me that he has a present for Ava.

Ava comes out of the bathroom and Austin gives her a little charm bracelet. She gets all excited says thank you and all that. Lily looks at Austin and asks if he has one for her too. Of course he doesn't. Lily's face falls and she starts crying. Austin's mom feels bad, apologizes, and gets the hell out of dodge.

Lily continues to cry and say heartbreaking stuff like "Austin doesn't like me" and "Nobody is my friend." All the way to the car. All I can think about is I'm going to have to listen to this for 7+ hours straight on the way to WI.

Then it hits me. The last time I was in Pinky Scout I saw some really cute charm bracelets, and they are just around the corner. So I drag my children, one happy, one sad, into the fancy schmancy children's boutique and fork out $28 for a princess charm bracelet. All the while cursing puppy love and cute little boys with curly hair.

We get back in the car and finally get on the road. Every 15 minutes I listen to Lily tell me she loves me and thank me again for buying her a charm bracelet. Seriously, every 15 minutes for 7+ hours.

The future scares me.

1 comment: