Sunday, October 17, 2010

My fast, easy, healthy soup recipe

This soup is a staple in our house. I make it often during the cooler months, usually on the weekend. It's great with grilled cheese , bonus points if you add tomato slices to your grilled cheese and sprinkle the buttered side with Parmesan cheese before you grill it. If you've never tried the Parmesan cheese thing, please give it a try, you're missing out.


Here it is all prettied up, garnished with garlic infused olive oil, cracked black pepper, and shaved Parmesan cheese. It's so pretty, isn't it?

Here it is all dumped in the pot, just before I took the blender to it. If you don't have an immersion blender I highly recommend them. They make quick work of this soup and you save on dirty dishes, score.

White Bean Soup with Rosemary and Basil

2 16oz cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
2 C chicken broth/stock
1 C your favorite marinara sauce
2 large cloves of garlic, minced (I use jarred)
5-6 leaves of fresh basil*
1 tsp minced fresh rosemary*
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
* If you don't have fresh herbs use about a tsp of Italian seasoning
Puree everything in a blender (or use an immersion blender right in the pot). Bring to a simmer. Cook 4-5 minutes. Serve with whatever garnish you choose.
Some day I am going to mix it up and substitute black beans, salsa, lime juice, cumin, and cilantro and then serve it with sour cream and quesadillas. The original is so good that I never stray from it.


1 comment:

  1. I love my immersion blender...though I did not realize that was its name!

    ReplyDelete