Tuesday, March 24, 2009

crossing the aisle

We're in the market for new swimsuits for the ladies, especially Lily. And while we're at it we also need to start thinking about shorts, t-shirts, and all that summer jazz. Lily was in a 5T this winter and some 5T's still fit, though they won't for long.

I have been dreading this day for awhile now. The day that she can't fit in the toddler section. I remember seeing my friend Jenell go through this with her daughter, but since Taylor is a more petite child she made the switch at 5/6 years old not 3/4 years old.

My favorite cheap stores; Kohls, Target, Walmart even have pretty great kids sections UNTIL you cross the aisle. Then all skank breaks loose! Suddenly everything is tight and has Hanna Montana's face plastered on it or some insane phrase like "juicy" scrawled across the butt. What the hell is with that?! Halter tops, short shorts, rhinestones, clingy fabrics, backless, front less, side less... it's horrible.

I wish she could just stay little. When we were at Target yesterday to check out their sale swimsuits Lily picked one up and said it was pretty. I was horrified to see the tiny triangle top and side-tied bottom in a sparkly hologram fabric, I am pretty sure I had one just like it in high school and it was kinda risque then, on a 17 year old. No way in hell am I buying something like that for a 3 year old.

We went home empty handed. I guess I'm back to my old stand by, Hanna Andersson, It's good quality, cute, childish, and fun. I just wish it wasn't sooo expensive. Oh well, I guess I'd rather spend a little more money to have my kid look like a kid vs going the cheap route and having a little Bratz doll of my very own.

6 comments:

  1. Phew!! Thank goodness I have boys! No backless there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the dark side...it stinks. Winter clothes don't seem to be as bad, summer stuff....ughhhh

    And I can't believe Lily is so big, Taylor is still in a 5/6 , she'll be 7 soon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'd like to know who "designs" little girls' clothes. The Children's Place has some non-skankware, too. They usually have some sales going on and their sizes go up to size 14.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'd like to know who "designs" little girls' clothes! I was looking at a really cute swimsuit at Target and then quickly put it back when I saw the sides were cut out. WTF? The Children's Place usually has some cute, non-skankwear not too expensive, though I haven't specifically looked at their swimsuits. I've gotten some from LLBean or Lands End, too. Those are nice because they're cute colorful patterns or solids and NO characters like Hannah Montana or HSM. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lands End (landsend.com)- click on the OVERSTOCKS page. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness! i can truely say, this is one thing i will not be looking forward to in my future years!

    ReplyDelete