Thursday, March 26, 2009

nothing an enchilada can't fix

Yesterday was not one of my favorite days, I'll be honest. After the bad behavior play date in the morning followed by the whiney afternoon I was ready for a margarita night. Luckily my husband was in the same boat, so when I suggested we seek food somewhere other than our kitchen, perhaps somewhere that offered margaritas, he agreed.

After wrangling the children we went in search of mexican food. Side note: I love this town, so far we know of three mexican restaraunts. We've now tried two of them and love them both. Way better than Corona's, back in Strasburg.

Last night we went to El Sombrero (please note that I have no idea how to type correctly in Spanish, sorry, I really don't know how to speak Spanish either fwiw). My friend Barb took me there once and I really enjoyed it. She loves it because the food is great and the man who owns it; Reuben, is a great guy, American dream kinda stuff.

Anyways... we walk in and Reuben seats us at our table as he goo-goos and gaa-gaas at the little senoritas in spanish. Lily was really hamming it up and pulling out all the cute moves for him. We explained to them after he walked away that he was speaking Spanish. They were amazed! Side note: Jeremy took Spanish in high school and remembers a lot of it so he's been teaching the girls. Lily really picked up the numbers and can count to 20 and now we're moving on and learning colors, they both picked up the colors easily. WE WILL NOT BE TEACHING THEM CHINESE NEXT - SHUT UP JENELL!

We had a great dinner and my mood improved as the girls behaved rather well and the food (that I didn't have to shop for, cook, plan, prepare, or clean up after) was served. Mmm, enchiladas, all is right with the world. As we were finishing eating the girls started to get back into the Spanish thing. Ava pointed to the "rojo" flowers at the table and Lily pointed to the "mazul" stripes painted on the dishes. Ava quickly corrected her sister and told her it's "a-zul".

We took our check up to the register so Reuben could ring us up and after paying we chatted with him for a bit. He was trying to get the ladies to say buenos noches but they were shy. Instead they said "Your shirt is rojo!" He was impressed, and the girls could tell they had him, hook, line and sinker. Then, enjoying the attention, Ava busted into the ABC's for him. He commented that was the first time tonight he'd been serenaded by a senorita. Then he asked us if they could have chocolate and he gave the girls a chocolate bar. And then, in the tiniest voice, too small for him to hear unfortunately, Lily said, "buenos noches a bejas" to Reuben.

Now, for all of you people who don't get to read the Dora's Bedtime Stories book a hundred or so times a year, I'll translate. Buenos noches a bejas = good night bees. Good times. Sarah Ann if you're reading this, I thought of you.

The moral of the story is:
Mexican food fixes the days problems.
It's cute when little white girls speak Spanish.
Dora really does teach your kids.

4 comments:

  1. We're doing mexican tonight - you've inspired us!

    TP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I'm certain they will be spouting things like...Wo ai ni mu qin (I love you mama) anytime now....

    and poo poo to you for good Mexican, there is none here. Thank Gosh Im a decent cook cuz the food here barfs for the most part.

    I want Taco Bell

    ReplyDelete