Wednesday, March 25, 2009

where is your father?

The ladies and I were invited to a neighbors house this morning for a play date in order to meet another neighbor and her girls (ages 4 and 1). I was excited to meet this family because the woman stays home and I am lacking in the SAHM friend category.

It started off pretty well, the girls built towers and robots or whatever while the adults talked. Then it all went south.
-Lily stole a toy from the baby and wouldn't give it back.
-Ava decided to act like a kitty and crawl around on the floor.
-Ava kept asking to go upstairs.
-Lily and Ava both kept asking for juice/snack.
-Fighting constantly over toys.
-Ava thought it was hilarious to kick me.
And then to top it all off Ava refused (loudly) to help clean up the toys when it was time to go.

And of course the whole time my kids are being beasts the other kid never needed so much as "the look." I probably wouldn't have even thought twice about my kids behavior if her kid even did one thing wrong. But no, her kid was perfect.

Why? Why on God's green earth do my kids malfunction and turn into little tyrants when I want them to be good? As soon as we got home Ava had to sit in her room for not helping clean up.

It's days like these that make me pause and say "What the hell am I doing wrong? This is not how I want them to be"

2 comments:

  1. You're not doing anything wrong - your kids are good and they're also only 3. Plus, my kid acts like a beast and you keep asking us back. I'm sure the other mommy completely understands and like you told me last week I'm sure she's been there 100 times and will be there 100 more times in the future.

    TP

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, dear I ask my self that question everyday...and I have a brand new stack of parenting self help books to prove it. =)

    ReplyDelete