Wednesday, April 29, 2009

new favorite recipe

I love to cook. I also love to try new recipes. I regularly scour the internet and different sites looking for new things to try. Somehow I came upon this site http://smittenkitchen.com/ and I love it. My favorite site status is saved for http://thepioneerwoman.com/ because I love how all of the ingredients she uses are actually easy to find and chances are good that I already have them in the pantry anyway, I also think she's hilarious.

Anyway. My new favorite recipe came from smittenkitchen and here's a link. http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/eggs-in-tomato-sauce-contest-winners/

I saw this recipe and my belly screamed at me to make it for DAYS. It was worth the wait ladies I am telling you. I make it every Saturday morning and sometimes for dinner. Seriously good, my kids even eat it. I must say though that most of the time we cover ours with feta cheese. My husband prefers the egg fried over easy on the toast and then covered in the sauce but I like it as the recipe suggests. We've also make it with sauteed spinach and we all cleaned our plates. Yum!

This particular night I made cheesy grits (Lily calls them grease which is so cute) and fried cheddarwurst. For the record I feel the need to tell you that this is a picture of my husbands plate and he had seconds and finished my food. How, is he so thin?




6 comments:

  1. Oh, and I forgot to say that it is FANTASTIC on asiago onion focaccia from Bakehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE bakehouse bread. Especially the Salted Pumpernickel. Around St. Patty's day they make THE BEST Irish Soda bread. You need to buy it and eat it with real cold butter. YUM.

    This dish looks delish, but my family would not eat it- the word TOMATO is poison to them. I on the other hand am all kinds of yumming. Thanks for reminding me how much I like that site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen salted pumpernickel there, Yum!

    Around St Patty's I went there multiple times a week to buy their Guiness bread, it was so good. I suggested they make it in brat rolls for summer grilling and the woman looked at me like I was a lunatic. Apparently nobody boils their brats in beer here like they do back home.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a Cinci thing- boiling brats in beer, then grilling them. I grew up doing it, still do it myself. A lot of people don't even parboil them, which I think is just so odd. BUT I'm glad to find someone else who makes beer brats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bakehouse also makes a very yummy tea bread- cranberry orange. Tiny loaves, usually in their pastry case, with coarse sugar on top. Such a nice sweet treat. Abs and I used to take a break at the store and walk over to Bakehouse so she could get a cookie and I could get that tea bread. No wonder I weighed so much in Troy!

    ReplyDelete